Re: glibc 2.23 --- Hard freeze starting

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:

> My understanding is we set a long freeze period (usually a month) to exact
> iron out these kind of discussions.  The freeze is exactly to limit discussion
> to a limited number of topics to avoid backlog overflow.

I think the freeze is to allow plenty of time for architecture maintainers
to test for their architectures and fix problems found (so that it
shouldn't, for example, be a problem if some architecture maintainers are
away at the start of the freeze period) - and potentially for any extra
testing people wish to run while changes likely to invalidate it shouldn't
be going in.  Not for adding new architecture-independent ABIs or other
changes that strongly indicate architecture maintainers should revalidate
(any new ABI means architecture maintainers should at least confirm the
ABI tests still pass).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com