This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: glibc 2.23 --- Hard freeze starting
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:06:33 -0500
- Subject: Re: glibc 2.23 --- Hard freeze starting
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <569D4A42 dot 7030006 at linaro dot org>
On 01/18/2016 03:25 PM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
> We are now in hard freeze as stated in previous calendar planning .
> As before, please keep your commits minimal, documentation changes only,
> simple bug fixes, and no translatable strings.
> Please start test your machines, refresh the ULP files and update the
> release page .
> Current I see that we have 4 blockers right now:
> 1. Add tunables framework: Siddhesh sent a v2 patchset 01/16 without
> further comments.
I'm OK with this, and we all agree it's just the non-public internals
part of the patch.
> 2. Add strlcpy/strlcat: from latest messages I noted Paul has asked to
> delay it to 2.24 for further discussions.
The status of this work needs a more detailed summary by Florian.
What's blocking adding these functions?
> 3. Fix ABI for external copies of string function inlines on AArch64:
> there are two patches listed in the wiki page. We need to decide which
> version to use and narrow down the remaining ABI issues if any.
> 4. [BZ #19329] Fix race between tls allocation at thread creation and dlopen:
> Szabolcs Nagy is confident it won't add regressions and I saw Carlos
> only asked for some documentation updates.
This is a rats nest.
My professional opinion is that we should not delay 2.23 for something that
is sufficiently complex to require multiple senior people to review.
I do not doubt that Szabolcs can deliver a solution, but we need a good review
by other senior people which will take time.
Again, I think this has to be delayed until 2.24. We have lived with this bug
for quite a while now. Papering over the problem may introduce other races we
don't know about.
However, I will attempt to review the minimal patch and see what we can get
into 2.23, but I don't think we should delay if we can't get good review
coverage by the deadline.