Re: Setup non-pushing gerrit instance for glibc.

On Friday, October 25 2019, Joseph Myers wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, you do need to quote the content from the email footer.
>> I agree that gerrit should be able to keep track of Message-Id's and
>> match the replies using In-Reply-To, but unfortunately it doesn't do
>> that.  It relies on the information present at the quoted footer to
>> determine which change the email refers to.
>
> If it doesn't work as well as Bugzilla at handling incoming email, it's
> probably not ready for serious use in glibc development (i.e. anyone
> submitting patches that way will need to watch for replies on the mailing
> list that don't get into gerrit's data, until gerrit's email handling is
> fixed).  Is there an issue for fixing gerrit to handle emails quoting
> relevant context without the footer?

TBH, I wouldn't know right now.  I haven't looked at gerrit's source
code to see how hard/feasible it would be to fix this.

What we can do is insert a message in the emails explaining that the
footer needs to be preserved when replying to it.  We will also have to
warn the user that replying directly to a new change message will not
work; gerrit can only understand email replies to comments.

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36