This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Implement strlcpy [BZ #178]
- From: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>
- To: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- Cc: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>, "libc-al >> GNU C Library" <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:20:21 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Implement strlcpy [BZ #178]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5416EDEA dot 4080903 at redhat dot com> <54170B62 dot 90900 at cs dot ucla dot edu>
On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 08:53:06AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> It would not be a good idea to add this to glibc, not only because
> this implementation would be incompatible with OpenBSD's, but more
> generally because the interface is poorly designed.
This has already been discussed over and over. We know you don't like
the interface. I don't either. But it should be in glibc. I'm not
going to repeat the reasons; you can read the archive where it was
stated that there is no longer any fundamental(ist) opposition to
including it as long as a correct implementation is proposed following
the usual rules for adding stuff to glibc.