This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: cygwin on Vista
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:39:03 -0400
- Subject: Re: cygwin on Vista
- References: <000001c76681$087e2e90$1401a8c0@jota> <20070314213359.GB21963@trixie.casa.cgf.cx> <Xns98F46807E5385zzappergmailcom@22.214.171.124> <45F91F2E.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <033401c7706c$53500340$2e08a8c0@CAM.ARTIMI.COM> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:13:48AM -0400, Robert Pendell wrote:
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 27 March 2007 06:54, Robert Pendell wrote:
>>> A co-worker brought in their laptop and their sound wasn't working. I
>>> took a look at it. The drivers appeared to be loaded properly and it
>>> was definately trying (the sound meter in the sound control panel
>>> updated) but nothing was coming out of the speakers or headphones. I
>>> honestly didn't know if I should blame the drivers, the sound card, or
>>> the speakers.
>> Neither. Blame Vista. It's notorious for sound-driver problems. Still,
>> only another six months or so and there'll be a service pack I have no doubt,
>> and anyway, you're probably only trying to listen to pirated music anyway, so
>> you probably deserve whatever you get, because remember that Microsoft hate
>> and despise all their customers and are continually engaged in actions
>> deliberately aimed at harming our interests.....
>Well a few points here.
>1. This wasn't *my* laptop. This was a friends laptop.
>2. I found an identical laptop at the store where the sound was working
>3. I run vista on my desktop where the sound works perfectly fine
>4. I listen to all legal music. I rip and encode my own mp3's from my
>own cds. Last I checked that was perfectly legal. Otherwise stuff like
>iPods wouldn't exist. ;)
Are you actually contradicting Dave's psychical abilities? I mean, come on,
the man just provided an in-depth diagnosis of a problem report which contained
no useful data.
I'd tread very carefully if I were you. Dave knows all.