This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: cygwin on Vista
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:41:00 -0400
- Subject: Re: cygwin on Vista
- References: <000001c76681$087e2e90$1401a8c0@jota> <20070314213359.GB21963@trixie.casa.cgf.cx> <Xns98F46807E5385zzappergmailcom@18.104.22.168> <45F91F2E.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <033401c7706c$53500340$2e08a8c0@CAM.ARTIMI.COM> <email@example.com> <20070327173903.GA26161@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
- Reply-to: cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:39:03PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:13:48AM -0400, Robert Pendell wrote:
>>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>Dave Korn wrote:
>>> On 27 March 2007 06:54, Robert Pendell wrote:
>>>> A co-worker brought in their laptop and their sound wasn't working. I
>>>> took a look at it. The drivers appeared to be loaded properly and it
>>>> was definately trying (the sound meter in the sound control panel
>>>> updated) but nothing was coming out of the speakers or headphones. I
>>>> honestly didn't know if I should blame the drivers, the sound card, or
>>>> the speakers.
>>> Neither. Blame Vista. It's notorious for sound-driver problems. Still,
>>> only another six months or so and there'll be a service pack I have no doubt,
>>> and anyway, you're probably only trying to listen to pirated music anyway, so
>>> you probably deserve whatever you get, because remember that Microsoft hate
>>> and despise all their customers and are continually engaged in actions
>>> deliberately aimed at harming our interests.....
>>Well a few points here.
>>1. This wasn't *my* laptop. This was a friends laptop.
>>2. I found an identical laptop at the store where the sound was working
>>3. I run vista on my desktop where the sound works perfectly fine
>>4. I listen to all legal music. I rip and encode my own mp3's from my
>>own cds. Last I checked that was perfectly legal. Otherwise stuff like
>>iPods wouldn't exist. ;)
>Are you actually contradicting Dave's psychical abilities? I mean, come on,
>the man just provided an in-depth diagnosis of a problem report which contained
>no useful data.
i.e., the problem report contained no useful data. I assume that Dave's diagnosis
was very useful since it was so precise.
>I'd tread very carefully if I were you. Dave knows all.