newlib git?

Christopher Faylor me@cgf.cx
Thu Nov 21 15:10:00 GMT 2013

[Cc'ing Tom]
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 03:13:17PM -0500, Jeff Johnston wrote:

>> > Tom Tromey (the hero who converted gdb and binutils) has offered to help
>> > anyone who wants to undertake the newlib conversion.
>> >
>> > That would require buy-in from the newlib maintainers, of course.
>>
>> Jeff? Corinna? What do you think?
>
>I'm very comfortable with git as I use it daily in my Eclipse work and
>I do like it.  I didn't have to set it up though :).
>
>I'm not overly anxious to take on the effort to transform; I was kind
>of expecting all of sourceware.org to go to git one day and we would
>simply change over.  However, if the majority of newlib committers want
>to use it now, I'm certainly open to setting it up.

Maybe I missed something but I'm only aware of one project on sourceware
making the move to git and that's binutils/gdb.  I'm planning on moving
Cygwin too eventually but it has, so far, required individual effort
from someone in the project to perform the work.

I'm sure that Tom will be willing to do some handholding but he probably
doesn't want to be "Mr. Git" for every project on sourceware.

cgf