pthread&rpc documentations

Florian Weimer fw@deneb.enyo.de
Mon Mar 9 10:14:35 GMT 2020

* Alexandre François Garreau:

> Le lundi 9 mars 2020, 10:45:40 CET Florian Weimer a écrit :
>> * Alexandre François Garreau:
>> > Does Glibc lack documentation for these (pthread and rpc)? is there a
>> > reason or is it only that it hasn’t been done yet?
>>
>> Sun RPC is obsolete and will not be added to the manual.  It has been
>> replaced by tirpc.
>
> But neither is tirpc, so will it be?

tirpc is a completely separate project (like Sun RPC should have been
in the first place).

>> There is some documentation in the man-pages
>> project.  I think Oracle also publishes documentation on the web.
>
> You mean tirpc or the other?

There is a substantial similarity.

> When I search about it I find sources calling “tirpc” “sunrpc”… this is
> confusing… is tirpc also from sun and/or oracle?

It shares a history with the Sun RPC code, but some core types have
been changed to support IPv6 and other transports (hence the
“transport independent” part).

>> Many pthread functions are documented in detail by the man-pages
>> project.  Other functions have documentation in POSIX (under a license
>> that many consider non-free).
>
> But then won’t it ever be added to the manual? I mean, I guess most glibc
> functions have competing documentation within linux man-pages and posix as
> well… yet they also exist in info.  Is there anything against their
> inclusion, beside lack of time/work?

Debian does not distribute the manual, so I personally do not consider
it good use of my time to update the manual when it is not required
for functional changes.

> Where can I download posix for free? wouldn’t it be good to give a link to
> it in official info manual? I’ve already seen this I think (for instance,
> links to non-free Khronos specs from within GNU packages manual
> referencing bindings to OpenGL API).

Officially, the link is only available after registration, but search
engines can find direct links.  I think
<https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/> is the latest
version.