pthread&rpc documentations

Alexandre François Garreau galex-713@galex-713.eu
Mon Mar 9 09:58:18 GMT 2020

Le lundi 9 mars 2020, 10:45:40 CET Florian Weimer a écrit :
> * Alexandre François Garreau:
> > Does Glibc lack documentation for these (pthread and rpc)? is there a
> > reason or is it only that it hasn’t been done yet?
>
> Sun RPC is obsolete and will not be added to the manual.  It has been
> replaced by tirpc.

But neither is tirpc, so will it be?

> There is some documentation in the man-pages
> project.  I think Oracle also publishes documentation on the web.

You mean tirpc or the other?

When I search about it I find sources calling “tirpc” “sunrpc”… this is
confusing… is tirpc also from sun and/or oracle?

> Many pthread functions are documented in detail by the man-pages
> project.  Other functions have documentation in POSIX (under a license
> that many consider non-free).

But then won’t it ever be added to the manual? I mean, I guess most glibc
functions have competing documentation within linux man-pages and posix as
well… yet they also exist in info.  Is there anything against their
inclusion, beside lack of time/work?

Where can I download posix for free? wouldn’t it be good to give a link to
it in official info manual? I’ve already seen this I think (for instance,
links to non-free Khronos specs from within GNU packages manual
referencing bindings to OpenGL API).