pthread&rpc documentations

Alexandre François Garreau galex-713@galex-713.eu
Mon Mar 9 10:31:51 GMT 2020

Le lundi 9 mars 2020, 11:14:35 CET Florian Weimer a écrit :
> * Alexandre François Garreau:
> > Le lundi 9 mars 2020, 10:45:40 CET Florian Weimer a écrit :
> >> * Alexandre François Garreau:
> >>
> >> Sun RPC is obsolete and will not be added to the manual.  It has been
> >> replaced by tirpc.
> >
> > But neither is tirpc, so will it be?
>
> tirpc is a completely separate project (like Sun RPC should have been
> in the first place).

Ohhh, it’s not a different API, it’s a different implementation! sorry I
didn’t understood that.  When you said it was obsolete I thought the
*interface* was obsolete!  And some newer took place.

> > When I search about it I find sources calling “tirpc” “sunrpc”… this
> > is
> > confusing… is tirpc also from sun and/or oracle?
>
> It shares a history with the Sun RPC code, but some core types have
> been changed to support IPv6 and other transports (hence the
> “transport independent” part).

But when on the same machine or using only IPv4, is it still compatible?
I’m curious.

Did XDR’s implementation of tirpc stay mostly compatible?

> >> Many pthread functions are documented in detail by the man-pages
> >> project.  Other functions have documentation in POSIX (under a
> >> license
> >> that many consider non-free).
> >
> > But then won’t it ever be added to the manual? I mean, I guess most
> > glibc functions have competing documentation within linux man-pages
> > and posix as well… yet they also exist in info.  Is there anything
> > against their inclusion, beside lack of time/work?
>
> Debian does not distribute the manual, so I personally do not consider
> it good use of my time to update the manual when it is not required
> for functional changes.

So it’s only a question of time, if it was proposed it wouldn’t be
refused, would it?