gdb compiling - version.c error

Simon Marchi simon.marchi@polymtl.ca
Mon May 29 21:02:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-05-29 20:10, Nathália Harumi via gdb wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I am writing to enquire about a problem I am having to compile GDB.
> When I execute the Makefile, it returns an error:
>
>     g++: error: version.c: No such file or directory
>     g++: fatal error: no input files"
>

> I noticed there is a line in Makefile where is missing a parameter on
> the .sh calling.
>
>     /bin/bash ./common/create-version.sh . \
>           version.c
>     mv: missing destination file operand after 'version.c-tmp'
>     Try 'mv --help' for more information.
>

> which is the version.c destination.
>
> So, I would like to ask about these parameters on create-version.sh,
> once I do not know for sure the meaning of each one.
> Also, I would like to highlight this issue, even though I am not sure
> if it is a local error or a broken commit.
>
> Thank you,
> Nathalia Harumi

Hi Nathalia,

On my build, it looks like this (sorry for the probable line wrap):

/bin/bash /home/emaisin/src/binutils-gdb/gdb/common/create-version.sh
/home/emaisin/src/binutils-gdb/gdb \
     x86_64-pc-linux-gnu x86_64-pc-linux-gnu version.c

If you look at the top of create-version.sh, you'll see that your
version of the call is missing the two following parameters:

   host_alias="$2"
   target_alias="$3"

Looking at the gdb/config.log file in the build directory, what are the
values of host_alias and target_alias?  Where do they come from (what
flags do you pass to configure)?

Simon