Downgrading Cygwin components and dependencies

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:28:53 GMT 2020

Am 08.05.2020 um 14:10 schrieb Maarten Hoes via Cygwin:
> Hi,
>

> In another thread (that I did not want to hijack) it was mentioned that you
> can downgrade (parts of) your cygwin installation by selecting
> previous/older versions of things.
>
> In the cygwin installer, I can select (a few) older versions of the
> components by clicking on the drop down menu next to the package names.
> However, it appears that this only downgrades the package you explicitly
> selected, and does not automatically downgrade components that depend on
> it.

Correct. It is supposed to be used on the seldom case that a specific
new package is not working

> For example, if I select a previous version of 'xorg-server', I would
> expect that all packages that have a dependency on that to also be
> downgraded (in this example, perhaps 'xorg-server-common' and
> 'xorg-server-extra'). But this does not seem to be the case.

To much expectation. It is not the case.

The list of packages built with the same source is mentioned here:
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/xorg-server-src.html

Setup is NOT looking at this information.

> Is there a way
> to automatically do this (for X11, in my use case) ? Or do you have to
> figure out the dependencies yourself ? Am I simply doing something wrong
> here ?

Manual process.

> Any and all help is appreciated,

Why do you need to downgrade the X server ?

Regards
Marco