Downgrading Cygwin components and dependencies

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten@gmail.com
Fri May 8 12:10:40 GMT 2020

Hi,

In another thread (that I did not want to hijack) it was mentioned that you
can downgrade (parts of) your cygwin installation by selecting
previous/older versions of things.

In the cygwin installer, I can select (a few) older versions of the
components by clicking on the drop down menu next to the package names.
However, it appears that this only downgrades the package you explicitly
selected, and does not automatically downgrade components that depend on
it. For example, if I select a previous version of 'xorg-server', I would
expect that all packages that have a dependency on that to also be
downgraded (in this example, perhaps 'xorg-server-common' and
'xorg-server-extra'). But this does not seem to be the case. Is there a way
to automatically do this (for X11, in my use case) ? Or do you have to
figure out the dependencies yourself ? Am I simply doing something wrong
here ?

Any and all help is appreciated,

- Maarten