First-time binutils repository code-stare - indentation and contribution process
Nick Clifton
nickc@redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 13:52:00 GMT 2017
Hi Francois,
> Good day
Salut - and please accept my apologies for not replying sooner.
> # Indentation
>>From a 2007 email
> (https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2007-03/msg00189.html) it seems
> indentation for binutils is 2 spaces and coding style should be the
> same as GNU Coding Styles
Correct.
> In readelf.c I see some inconsistent mixed use of real tabs and spaces
> on the same line. I assume the normal convention applies where you
> leave existing invalid whitespace alone, but use the correct style for
> new code?
Actually the old code ought to be corrected as well. Although it is better
to do so as a separate set of patches, rather than including such changes
along with new code.
> I'd like to suggest adding a ".editorconfig" file to the binutils repo
> (http://editorconfig.org). It seems to be a perfect alternative to
> adding "pages" of editor-specific modelines to all files. It also
> serves as a very clear reference for what indentation should look like
> to anyone looking at the repository if they choose not to use a plugin
> for editorconfig.
An excellent idea. Is there a version of .editorconfig set up with the GNU
Coding standards settings ?
> I would like to start work on adding basic support for a new chip
> architecture, or at least investigate the work involved in doing so. I
> could not find a clear guide regarding patch submissions and review
> processes.
I suggest that you have a look at the GDB CONTRIBUTE file:
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob;f=gdb/CONTRIBUTE;hb=HEAD
The binutils project uses basically the same guidelines, and one day we
may even formalize this. :-)
Cheers
Nick
More information about the Binutils
mailing list