2.22.1 Possible -> Yes!

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 00:57:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 03:29:22PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> Ok, I will make a 2.22.1 release.

I don't know why we bother with branches.  We just fool users into
thinking that the branches are live, when really, not much activity
takes place on binutils branches.

> If anyone has patches to backport, please speak up.

The 2.22 branch doesn't even build with current gcc.  Lots of set but
unused variable warnings.  I started fixed them all, and backporting
powerpc patches, then decided the whole process is just an incredible
waste of developer time.  binutils is a stable project.  We don't have
people contributing new features that might destabilise everything, at
least not very often.  So

- Announce a release is happening in 1 week.  Hopefully people will
  take notice, and test their favourite targets.  During this time,
  everyone should take a conservative approach to patches.
- Tag the trunk and release.
- If the release is a disaster, repeat.

This wouldn't preclude cutting a branch from the tag point should we
find that necessary at some later date.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM