2.22.1 Possible -> Yes!

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Fri Apr 27 01:31:00 GMT 2012

On Thursday 26 April 2012 20:39:11 Alan Modra wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 03:29:22PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> > Ok, I will make a 2.22.1 release.
>
> I don't know why we bother with branches.  We just fool users into
> thinking that the branches are live, when really, not much activity
> takes place on binutils branches.

bugfixes get applied to the branches ... what more activity should there be ?

> > If anyone has patches to backport, please speak up.
>
> The 2.22 branch doesn't even build with current gcc.

by "current" you mean 4.7.x ?  or trunk ?  i don't think this matters all that
much -- certainly anyone who packages binutils configures it with --disable-
werror.  in Gentoo, we never let a package build with -Werror precisely
because of this sort of thing: newer gcc warns in new and creative ways, as
often times do other architectures.
-mike