libbfd/gas questions plus a suggestion (comments wanted)

Ian Lance Taylor ian@wasabisystems.com
Tue Oct 14 17:07:00 GMT 2003

Jonathan Wilson <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> writes:

> Basicly, since I cant find anything otherwise, I want to add a new
> feature to gas.

I recommend more reading and more experimenting.

> I want to add a feature that says "emit this symbol with a segment
> value of -2 (aka IMAGE_SYM_ABSOLUTE).

Symbols are absolute if they are not section labels.

> Firstly, what bit of the code (I presume its in BFD somewhere) outputs
> the symbol table for win32 i386-pe COFF object files?

coff_write_symbols() in coffgen.c.  Each individual symbol is written
by coff_write_symbol() in the same file.

> And secondly, what is the best way to tell that bit of code that a
> symbol should be emitted as "absolute".
> My guess is something like:
> .absolute __tls_array

Just assign a value to the symbol using = or `.set'.

Ian