migration problem?

xinl xinl@ualberta.ca
Tue Oct 14 18:21:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

I am currently migrate a system from alpha machine( Digital Unix ) to intel
machine ( Linux ). and there is a piece of code whose functionality is to
extract all the information ( external symbol, local symbol, etc... just like
objdump would do, but more specific ) from the alpha coff object file. in
order to remain the functionality, i should write a piece of code to do the
same thing. But , I found that the coff file format under linux ( i386-coff)
are different with the format under alpha ( alpha-coff).

for i386-coff and alpha-coff format, they have almost the same file header,
section header, and optional header data structure. BUT in alpha-coff, it has
several data structure which seems doesn't exist in i386-coff format. such as
symbolic header descriptor, file descriptor, procedure descriptor and so on.
These data can be used to locate the external symbols, local symbols and other
stuff which is very important for my migration use.

So, my question is, how can I fill the gap between the i386-coff and
alpha-coff?
do I miss any point here? or is there any good code example for me to follow
up?

Thanks in advance!

yours,
Xin