This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the newlib project.
Re: numtestf is broken
- From: Craig Howland <howland at LGSInnovations dot com>
- To: newlib at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 12:26:42 -0500
- Subject: Re: numtestf is broken
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1391515990 dot 20658 dot 3 dot camel at i44pc2 dot info dot uni-karlsruhe dot de>
Just in case you did not know, mathfp is not supposed to be used any more (being
pretty well messed up), and supposedly you can't even choose it from configure.
So unless you were planning to try and fix the whole thing, you probably should
save your time.
This does not necessarily mean that the patch cannot be checked in. It looks
good to me. (Although, while glancing at it, the routine could be considered to
be flawed in execution order in that it does a floating point comparison for
zero before the NAN and INF checks, which can produce a floating point exception
(invalid, if the argument is NAN). Check routines are supposed to avoid those.
But this only matters if the user cares about FP exceptions.)
This brings up something that apparently has been true for at least a couple of
years (c.f. https://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2011/msg00381.html): the newlib
email archive search engine fails to find "mathfp" at all. (I just tried,
altering plenty of the options. I ended up just using Google with
"site:https://sourceware.org/ml/newlib mathfp" to find stuff.) How can this be
On 02/04/2014 07:13 AM, Matthias Braun wrote:
Attached is a patch for numtestf which did not detect NaN and INF