Re: FYI: Status of gdb usage of gerrit

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> I was hoping gerrit's email integration for feedback from the ML
> would work better than it does. Right now that's a showstopper for
> immediate use in that we want *one* system of record that works well
> with email responses.

There are a couple of key issues there (handling of replies to the initial
notification of a change, handling of replies not quoting the footer
information by using References headers instead).  I didn't see any
evidence that those issues would be unfixable or that the gerrit
maintainers objected to the idea of improving things in that area.

I'm not expecting any review system to be good out of the box, without
some custom configuration and quite likely adding a few new features to do
things we want (such as how the gerrit email notifications were improved
to include diffs and more context in general).  We've identified some
issues with gerrit that are things to consider when comparing it with
other systems - not issues that mean it has to be discarded from
consideration, if they can be fixed in an upstream-suitable way.  (I don't
know how hard the issues Florian listed with the web interface might be to
address, however.)

I'm pretty sure that when we started using Bugzilla for GCC and
sourceware, various changes to the code were needed to make it work well
for us.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com