Re: What to do about gnulib libio dependencies?

On 08/21/2018 02:32 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
We should define them in glibc only if we have consensus on adding
the API and find it useful, and it doesn't overly restrict the
implementation.

I think we should include these APIs, disregarding their quality, merely for harm reduction purposes. (The same thing could be said about strlcpy/strlcat.)

We don't have much choice here: If we don't provide these interfaces, gnulib will continue to poke at our internals. It's extremely unlikely that all those copies of these support routines will be dropped, ever, so we need to keep support for existing binaries, anyway, and that will be easier if we have the requirements documented in the glibc source code, through our own (matching) implementation.

Thanks,
Florian