Re: The "abortion" joke

On May 10, 2018, Torvald Riegel <triegel@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-05-10 at 15:21 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On May 10, 2018, Torvald Riegel <triegel@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> > LOL
>>
>> > When one doesn't filter what's coming through the "waves [...] on the
>> > Internet", sometimes it just brings a whole lot of garbage that
>> > otherwise circles around itself out there on the ocean :)
>>
>> Torvald,
>>
>> I believe such a toxic tone is not adequate for this community, unlike
>> that of the message you responded to.

> Did you really mean "unlike" or "like"?

unlike

>> To me, your message comes across
>> as a provocation within the cool-down period, and as an attempt to
>> suppress dissenting speech that I happen to find throughtful and
>> appropriate.  That's not surprising that we disagree about it: I largely
>> agree with that opinion, and you disagree.

> "I don't know about the mental damage someone must have taken to make
> such a statement."

I might have used different words, like

it's a fundamental mistake to believe that supressing political speech
and reducing the amount of dissent people are exposed to could get us to
a better society.

I probably would NOT add, however, that:

it's such a problem that I wish people suffering from this illness could
get medical help, and I hope doctors are not forbidden by censorship
laws from helping them.

:-)

> Which is what I expressed in my reply.

Still, the tone in which you expressed it was not fit for this list.

o-o

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer