Re: [rain1 at airmail dot cc] Delete abortion joke

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 11:28 PM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/01/2018 08:30 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>>   To the best of our knowledge, terminating a program by calling this
>>   function is not against the law in any jurisdiction, but there are
>>   some jurisdictions considering laws to censor information about such
>>   procedures.  Regardless of your opinion on the procedures, we hope you
>>   will support our opposition to censorship.
>
> This is now satire, an even more difficult culturally relative form of
> literature. I would not recommend this either.
>
> Why don't we find a solid common ground in wording that relates to
> censorship and abortion.

As I just said to RMS, I formally object to the inclusion of ANY
replacement for the joke.  I do not think that this subject should be
discussed at all within the GNU C Library Manual, because I think that
no matter how it is worded it winds up sounding like we're mocking the
reader's actual beliefs about abortion - whatever they happen to be -
by drawing a comparison to the termination of computer processes.

Perhaps those that feel strongly that the FSF should be taking a
position on this -- which I can sympathize with -- should write up an
editorial to be published on fsf.org or gnu.org, instead.

zw