Re: Tunables for 2.23?

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:56:47PM -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> I think we are simply too close to 2.23 being cut, and the release freeze is
> in slush mode.
>
> I would like to see this go into 2.24, the next release, and I propose the
> following plan:
>
> (1) Review and potentially commit patch #1 to 2.23, which adds underlying
>     support.

Agreed, it is #1 that I am targeting for 2.23.  I can backport #2 on
2.23 once it has consensus; I don't mean to pressurize folks to come
to a consensus on this with 2.23 in mind.

> (2) Add patch #2, which adds GLIBC_TUNABLES env var to Fedora Rawhide after
>     January 16th, to get broader Fedora testing. Advertise on Fedora Devel.
>     Requires more extensive manual update, or wiki page, or documentation
>     to show average users how to tune things.

Agreed, but with the disclaimer that the final user interface could
take a completely different form based on what the community consensus
is.

> (3) Repost patch #2 for 2.24 with enhanced documentation and commit for 2.24.

OK.

> There are quite a number of us that think that tunables are really needed,
> and while I'm in that camp, this push is too late on the heels of 2.23, but
> let us commit to 2.24 as the line in the sand.

I would like to apologize for not being able to get these patches out
early enough; I really should have done this more than a month ago to
give adequate time for everyone.  All is not lost though, since the
patches are technically valid for backport since they don't change ABI
in any way.  There is a new API that is introduced, but I don't think
we're going to support any kind of stability guarantee for it at least
for the initial releases.

Siddhesh