This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 05/15] Add hle.h base header
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: Andi Kleen <andi at firstfloor dot org>
- Cc: Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:27:08 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 05/15] Add hle.h base header
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org><email@example.com><50DD8CE8.firstname.lastname@example.org><20121228201206.GJ16230@one.firstfloor.org>
> I prefer to not complete glibcize it. If people insist on it I'll
> likely drop it and require new enough gcc / binutils instead.
I think that's the right thing to do anyhow. That is, use empirical
configure checks for the assembler/compiler features you use, and just
don't try to build the functionality at all if the tools don't support it.
Remediation for old build tools is something we only do for code that is
really essential. This is an experimental feature that is nothing but
optimization and only usable on hardware nobody has, so it is very far from
it being a priority that it be supported in every build.