This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 05/15] Add hle.h base header
- From: Andi Kleen <andi at firstfloor dot org>
- To: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- Cc: Andi Kleen <andi at firstfloor dot org>, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse dot com>,libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:04:30 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 05/15] Add hle.h base header
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <50DD8CE8.email@example.com> <20121228201206.GJ16230@one.firstfloor.org> <20130110212709.045652C0B2@topped-with-meat.com>
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 01:27:08PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > I prefer to not complete glibcize it. If people insist on it I'll
> > likely drop it and require new enough gcc / binutils instead.
> I think that's the right thing to do anyhow. That is, use empirical
> configure checks for the assembler/compiler features you use, and just
It works perfectly fine with older toolchains, just using this file.
> don't try to build the functionality at all if the tools don't support it.
> Remediation for old build tools is something we only do for code that is
> really essential. This is an experimental feature that is nothing but
> optimization and only usable on hardware nobody has, so it is very far from
> it being a priority that it be supported in every build.
I don't think that's a fair characterization of TSX deployment.