Re: Do not report build errors in bugzilla

> Is there a specification available for what constitutes a correct
> environment?

Not really.  Would you like to figure out what the exact requirements are
and help us document them?

> For example, my /bin/sh is pdksh, and this makes the build fail.  I
> have a patch to make the build work with both bash and pdksh (use
> "echo -E" instead of plain "echo" in csu/Makefile); this would make
> the build process more portable, expanding the definition of a corrent
> environment.  -E isn't recognized by some shells' echo commands, but
> the build already fails with many of those other shells anyway, so I
> don't know whether to try to accommodate them.  Do I report this sort
> of thing in Bugzilla?

This is not something we will consider a bug and put any effort into
fixing.  If it works with the standard GNU shell (bash), that is the only
real priority for us.  However, if you fix it yourself and send us clean
patches that make glibc's build work with any POSIX.2-compliant sh, we will
certainly put those in.

> There's also the __i686 macro defined by gcc - I've seen it reported
> multiple times in the archives, sometimes with patches, but none of
> those patches seem to have been applied.  I'm sure there's some
> "offical" solution, and I'd like to use it myself, but I haven't seen
> any sign of it.  What's the proper way to find out about such things?

In fact, I don't know what you are talking about.