This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin on WXP -- Installs but immediately fails on running ???
- From: David Stacey <drstacey at tiscali dot co dot uk>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 13:55:42 +0100
- Subject: Re: Cygwin on WXP -- Installs but immediately fails on running ???
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <loom dot 20141012T014913-269 at post dot gmane dot org>
On 12/10/14 01:05, John H. Lindsay wrote:
I'm trying to run Cygwin on WXP (I know, but my main OS is OS/2 / eCS 2.2B2,
and I don't need a Windows OS, except to help port some stuff to eCS).
Cygwin 1.7.32-1 apparently installs O.K. on WXP without any complaint from
the installer. But when I try to run it, it stops immediately, complaining
that it can't find a file utmp . I can't find it in the Cygwin
distribution, and google-type searches turn up nothing. From the sketchy
references that I have been able to find, it could be from Linux or UNIX,
but what is this file ? Where can I get a copy ? Is there a bypass to this
error condition ?
/var/run/utmp is a database of logged on users. Create an empty file in
/var/run called 'utmp'. If you do this through Windows note that there
is no file extension. Then try again. This might get you over the hurdle
in question, but I wonder if this is symptomatic of an installation
problem. That said, I haven't installed Cygwin on Windows XP for quite a
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple