query of installed apps on remote Winows

Aloha,

Didn't get much response on my last query of this topic.  But the
discussion of regtool has made me wonder ...

regtool can access registries of remote machines.  So it seems there
must be an `easy' way of accessing the list of `currently installed'
programs.

Anyone know how the control-panel->Add/Remove-Programs facility works?
Is this something that might be supported by existing cygwin tools?
And further: accessible remotely?

We're using cygwin for a growing number of remote admin tasks on a
large network of Windows machines.  Always looking for more ways to make
operations scriptable/batchable.

(We've even managed to use cygwin to accomplish mass remote installs of
some software packages.)

Thanks in advance for any insights into this or other remote admin
possibilities!

Richard