Re: Upcoming X.org release and splitting packages

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > However, I do make xterm patches more frequently than XFree86 releases
> > occur - that's simply a matter of 60,000 lines of code compared to 3
> > million...
>
> I think this is reason alone for it to be a separate package.
>
> I have this built as a Cygwin package using the default configure
> options at the moment.  The only patch required was to Makefile.in
> (attached) to get it to stop appending .exe to the uxterm shell script.
>
> Thomas, can you recommend any configure options we should be using?  I
> can think that the following might be useful:
>
> --enable-toolbar
> --enable-wide-chars
> --with-Xaw3d
>
> Any thoughts?

I think most are enabled by default. On Linux I only added
--with-terminal-type=xterm-xfree86 --enable-256-color
--enable-load-vt-fonts --disable-tek4014 --enable-toolbar
--disable-vt52 --enable-luit.

--with-terminal-type=xterm-xfree86 was just so I wouldn't get
it set to xterm by default (lynx etc are black and white with
it).

--disable-tek4014 --disable-vt52 seems to be recommend because
it adds bloat and only a few people use it.

You can presumably replace the xc/program/xterm/ with
xterm-185/ and the make World will use it.

I don't think --with-Xaw3d is worth, as it adds another
dependency.

Thomas, am (are) I (we) missing anything ? Are there any other
options that are enabled or disabled in the xc version ?

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html