Re: Upcoming X.org release and splitting packages

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> We will soon (possibly next week) be releasing a new version
> of all Cygwin/X packages built from the source code tree
> managed by X.org and hosted on freedesktop.org.  This will be
> a very good thing since all of the Cygwin/X developers will
> be able to stay in sync with the exact code that is in
> distribution via CVS, compared to our current system today
> where the code in distribution has many differences from that
> in CVS.  The rebuild won't mean much to end users: all
> libraries remain binary compatible with the current packages
> and the contents of the release (programs, etc.) will be
> almost identical.

What are the main differences between it and XFree86 4.4.0 ?
Are things like XTerm 185 included, or everything that goes to
XFree86 can't to X.org ?

> 2) Split the "bin" package into at least a few pieces (but not too many
> pieces):
>
> 2a) "bin-dlls" will contain the .dll files only.  This would allow
> packages like emacs or xemacs to depend only on bin-dlls instead of on
> the entire bin package which includes programs not used by emacs nor xemacs.

Maybe do the same for Lesstif ?

> 2b) "bin-lndir" would contain the lndir utility.  lndir has
> no dependence on X libs and can be used by any programmer for
> non-X projects.

Nice. lndir is very useful when a /path/to/configure options
doesn't work as expected due to lack of Automake support or
brokeness.

> 2c) "bin-apps" would contain all other applications
> originally contained in "bin" but not contained in "bin-dlls"
> nor "bin-lndir".

I thought you'd split it more, like only adding what's really
essential, and move xbiff, xclock, xedit, xman, etc to a
separate package. But how to know what's essential ? And I
guess imake, makedepend, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config, etc could
go in "devel" ?

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html