This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: i960-* and b.out
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at redhat dot com>
- To: joel dot sherrill at OARcorp dot com
- Cc: BINUTILS at sources dot redhat dot com, Ralf Corsepius <corsepiu at faw dot uni-ulm dot de>
- Date: 26 Jul 2002 12:59:16 -0400
- Subject: Re: i960-* and b.out
- References: <3D414F37.2D34922C@OARcorp.com>
>I know that unfortunately a lot of i960 tools defaulted to b.out
>for the default name but this oddity is causing unnecessary
>issues with at least the RTEMS configurery. Is there an easy
>way to change this so it defaults to a.out like everything else?
>Would this cause grief?
Intel changed the a.out object file format, called the result b.out, and then
changed the output file name to b.out to make it clear that it wasn't an a.out
file. However, there was never any real need to do that, since we use the
file name a.out for COFF and ELF without trouble.
See OBJ_DEFAULT_OUTPUT_FILE_NAME in gas/config/obj-bout.h. This is the only
file that uses that macro. We could just eliminate the macro to solve the
Changing it would mean a minor incompatibility with the Intel GNU960 tools
which they still distribute, and which will continue to emit b.out files.
There are probably b.out file name assumptions in a few other misc places,
like dejagnu, and probably in some other embedded OSes also.