Re: Wrong dynamic-linker used on Solaris 7/x86

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 04:52:28PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May 20, 2001, Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > You might do better to create a new linker emulation, have it
> > override the contents of the .interp section, and make that the
> > default for Solaris.  That way the hackery is localised inside ld,
> > rather than involving BFD itself.
>
> I like this.  It's the least pervasive change of all proposed so far.
>
> Here's the patch that implements it.  Tested on
> GNU/Linux-x-Solaris/x86.  Ok to install?

Personally, I don't like it. When we moved Linux from a.out to ELF, I
didn't write an ELF linker script for Linux. To me, there should be
only one ELF linker for ia32. I prefer to pass -dynamic-linker to ld.

When we fixed gcc/binutils a few years ago, "gcc -v" no longer worked
under Linux due to the assembler change. We fixed gcc and patched the
specs file for the existing gcc. What is wrong with that? I doubt there
are more Solaris/x86 using gcc today than Linux/x86 5 years ago.

H.J.