CVS corruption?

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Mon Mar 5 10:04:00 GMT 2001


Jeffrey A Law <law@redhat.com> writes:

>   > Be sure to verify that the 1.1.1.5-9 revisions are the only ones that
>   > have been lost.  I only did a brief inspection.
> How did you do this?  I don't mind grubbing through it, but without some
> clue what to look for it might be tough given the size of the ChangeLog,v
> file :-)

Fix the revisions you know about.  Then run `cvs log' on the file.  If
it succeeds, then the file is in a usable format, and you don't have
to do anything else.  For super extra credit, read the log entries and
make sure they make sense.

>   > I can't guess why this file was truncated.  The file at Yahoo which
>   > were truncated had all been truncated long before I got there, and
>   > given the state of the cvs server when I arrived, I'd suspect that
>   > the repository disk filled up.  Obviously the repository disk on
>   > sourceware hasn't filled up, and I don't remember disk space ever
>   > being an issue on the CVS partition on the previous sourceware
>   > hardware.
> There's been bugs in CVS before which would exhibit similar behavior, but
> I thought they were fixed long ago.

Really?  We had problems at Cygnus because we were using CVS over NFS
from different clients and servers, which caused block level
corruption.  After we noticed that, we turned off NFS access and
enforced client/server mode.  We never had problems after that,
although it was years before I finally fixed all the corrupted files.

Ian



More information about the Overseers mailing list