Question about autoreconf to regenerate configuration files

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Fri Jan 21 13:44:27 GMT 2022

On Jan 21 13:32, Matthew Joyce wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with Sebastian Huber on the previously-discussed thread-local
> objects configuration option. If I may, I'd like to ask a question about
> regenerating the configuration files.
>
> I added a new source file which defines one of these tls objects in
> libc/errno/ and added the file to the LIB_SOURCES in errno/Makefile.am. I
> then ran autoreconf in the libc directory.
>
> nm shows me that the new object is defined in the symbol table, but I have
> also unwittingly modified well over 100 files (numerous Makefile.in,
> aclocal.m4, and configure files).
>
> I'd like to understand: Is this expected or desirable? Should I not be using
> autoreconf for this?

You should be able to do that, but maybe you used another autoconf
version than the one used to generate the files in the first place.
I wouldn't worry about that right now, especially while Mike is still
turning our autotools setup upside down.

Corinna