accuracy of mathematical functions

Paul Zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann@inria.fr
Tue Aug 3 07:59:17 GMT 2021

       Hi,

I am about to publish a new version of the comparison of the accuracy of
mathematical functions. This new version will be co-authored with Vincenzo
Innocente and will include two new libraries: Apple Libm and CUDA.

I take the opportunity to check the following issues, which seem to be still
present in the last release (4.1.0) of Newlib that we will use in that update:

* large error for powf (169 ulps)

* sqrtf not correctly rounded for directed rounding modes -> fixed in git version

* large error for pow in double precision (636 ulps)

Are some of these issues fixed in the git version, or are there plans to fix
them?

Best regards,
Paul

PS: the previous version (already with 4.1.0) is available here:
https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/papers/accuracy.pdf