__getreent in libgloss

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com
Wed Nov 5 17:06:00 GMT 2014

On 11/5/2014 9:19 AM, Stefan Wallentowitz wrote:
> On 05.11.2014 15:33, Stefan Wallentowitz wrote:
>> On 05.11.2014 15:05, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>>
>>> If your bare metal target doesn't have threads, this reentrancy
>>> isn't an issue. If it does, then I would tend to think that the
>>> target should not be or1k-elf but something indicating the thread
>>> package. It would also have lock support.
>>>
>>> I think all the bare *-elf targets are single threaded focused
>>> although some RTOSes use them anyway.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> there are two things:
>>
>> First, I added the reentrancy to support the use of C library
>> routines in exceptions and therefore implement two impure structs,
>> just to not mess up printf buffers during exceptions etc.. Solely for
>> this we don't need dynamic reentrancy, but can just exchange the
>> _impure_ptr. The goal of the whole implementation of exception and
>> interrupt hooks is that people can use the or1k-elf toolchain to
>> build everything including a small scheduler or virtual memory
>> threads, if they need. It is of course debatable that this is necessary.
>>
>> Second, we have multiple cores running the same baremetal code from
>> shared memory. I think this is the point where we need dynamic
>> reentrancy, as we have multiple threads of execution (not meaning "OS
>> threads") that share the code. I am not sure if this already
>> qualifies for another target than *-elf.

OK. Not sure either.  For sure there is some added code to know core
number in that configuration that is not needed in uniprocessor
configurations. That's not necessarily a big deal.

But is the same information available for current core number and
maximum cores available in a uniprocessor or1k CPU?

Does the or1k simulator do multicore? Does it have synchronization
instructions? Just curious since SMP RTEMS on or1k is something
I really hadn't thought about. We already support ARM, SPARC,
PowerPC, and x86.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bye,
>>
> Can this be an option?
> https://github.com/wallento/or1k-newlib/commit/53a4f1584ec8702ec1a92eea15fbe937b27a5bd4

I don't have problems with this patch. As long as the libgloss code includes
all that is needed.