Infineon xc16x support

Conny Marco Menebröcker c-m-m@gmx.de
Wed Dec 16 10:53:00 GMT 2009

 On Thursday 10 December 2009 18:22:19 Jeff Johnston wrote:
> On 04/12/09 12:34 PM, Conny Marco Menebröcker wrote:
> >   On Sunday 15 November 2009 10:38:52 Conny Marco Menebröcker wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> sorry my first patch file was defect.
> >> I've got problems sending my patch as atachment. The last mails got all
> >>   lost, without any debounce mail. So please donload the file:
> >>
> >> http://www.menebroecker-web.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/newlib_xc16x.t
> >>ar. gz
> >>
> >> Thanks and best regards,
> >> Conny
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > please review my patch.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Conny
>
> Patch has been committed with the following changes:
>
> putchar.c has been moved to libc/machine/xc16x and its prototype has
> been changed to accept an int rather than a char, per ANSI.
>
> puts.c has also been moved libc/machine/xc16x.
>
> You should understand that the shared putchar macro in stdio.h will get
> invoked by any user including stdio.h unless they surround the function
> call with parentheses or #undef the macro.  It calls putc() which
> eventually will end up using your write syscall in libgloss.  I'm not
> sure why you chose to override this particular function by itself other
> than a possible performance improvement or experiment, but be aware of
> the previous information.  If it was only meant as an experiment, feel
> free to request it being removed.
>
> I regenerated the autotool files locally.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Jeff J.

Hi Jeff,

thank you for commiting my patch. But there is a typing error in makefile.am.
Please see attached my patch. This time I used automake-1.11, so I think you
can use my patch without regenerating the autotool files.

As I wrote in my first email, I just reworked the patch from Shrirang Khishti.
So I am not sure why he overrides the putchar function. But I will work on it
in the next days.

Best regards

Conny