Problem with --enable-target-optspace

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 18:40:00 GMT 2007

Artur Lipowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I specify mentioned option then there is no possibility to use
> CFLAGS environment variable (to supply some tailoring definitions like
> e.g -DREENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED).
>
> I found that when --enable-target-optspace option is used then there is
> generated Makefile with following directives (it is taken from the file
> newlib/mt-ospace):
> # Build libraries optimizing for space, not speed.
>  CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET = -g -Os
>  CXXFLAGS_FOR_TARGET = -g -Os
>
> For me it seems that there is missing  $(CFLAGS) entry - it should be
> like that:
> CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET = -g -Os $(CFLAGS)
>

> Is it expected behaviour or I am doing something stupid?

Artur,

   You can add flags by specifying TARGET_CFLAGS=xxxx on your make
invocation.  The makefiles in the lower levels have:

INCLUDES=$(NEWLIB_CFLAGS) $(CROSS_CFLAGS) $(TARGET_CFLAGS)

For things such as -DREENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED, unless you are doing
an experiment, this should be something you put in your platform's
newlib_cflags setting in newlib/configure.host

-- Jeff J.