.SUFFIXES hosed by switch to automake 1.9.x

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 21:56:00 GMT 2007


Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 16:34 +0100, Joern Rennecke wrote:
>   
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 04:53:20PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>     
>>> In rtems Makefile.am's I am using this construct:
>>>
>>> project_libdir = $(libdir)
>>>
>>> EXTRA_DIST = crt0.S
>>> crt0.$(OBJEXT): crt0.S
>>>         $(CPPASCOMPILE) -o $@ -c $<
>>> project_lib_DATA = crt0.$(OBJEXT)
>>>       
>> I am now using this (copied from another directories's Makefile.in):
>>
>> CCASCOMPILE = $(CCAS) $(AM_CCASFLAGS) $(CCASFLAGS)
>> .S.o:
>>         $(CCASCOMPILE) -c $<
>>
>> The presense of the .S.o rule also has the effect of fixing the generated
>> .SUFFIXES rules to allow .S .
>>     
> You will want CPPASCOMPILE. 
>
> CCASCOMPILE is *.s -> *.o
>
>   
This all works today using a .S file in EXTRA_lib_a_SOURCES and 
specifying lib_a_CCASFLAGS=AM_CCASFLAGS.  Are you saying this was a bug 
in 1.9 and it all breaks again in 1.10?  If so, I really wish automake 
would stabilize so I don't have to constantly change Makefile.am files 
every release.

-- Jeff J.

> I don't know off-head if CPPASCOMPILE was introduced in automake-1.10 or
> already is present in automake-1.9 (already outdated for quite some
> time).
>
> Ralf
>
>
>   



More information about the Newlib mailing list