system slowdown

Shaun Jackman sjackman@gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 21:51:00 GMT 2006


On 3/29/06, Alex Gonzalez <langabe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am seeing a strange slowdown in my system and I am wondering whether
> it could be caused by newlib's floating point support.
>
> Which is the correct configuration flag to build newlib without
> floating point support? I am now using --disable-newlib-io-float
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

This option (--disable-newlib-io-float) disables floating point
support for printf/scanf style functions. This helps reduce the size
of the binary, but if you're not using floating point formats, will
only have a negligible effect on performance. If your source code does
not use float/double types and you have specified
--disble-newlib-io-float, there will be no floating point code in the
resulting binary.

If you use the heap, that is to say malloc and others, you may want to
check that you're getting the performance you expect out of your heap
calls.

Cheers,
Shaun


More information about the Newlib mailing list