"empty" Makefile

Ethan Tira-Thompson ejt@andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Sep 11 16:40:00 GMT 2005


Oops, I replied to Ralf, but not the list...

On Sep 11, 2005, at 7:51 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
>   Basically, newlib doesn't support linux, and linux doesn't  
> support newlib.
> Linux requires a much more fully-featured libc than newlib, and  
> generally
> uses glibc.
Basically, the Aibo uses a custom OS from Sony called Aperios.  It's  
not linux, but apparently they use linux-style binary format. (?)  So  
currently all us users have been using gcc 3.3.2, binutils 2.14, and  
newlib 1.10.  Some of us want to use a newer compiler, so I'm working  
on updating support for current versions of everything (since Sony  
doesn't seem interested in lifting a finger)

So although it's not linux, it's just linux format output (right?).   
Since we're kind of misappropriating another platform's format, I  
guess some issues are to be expected, so don't worry about it -- I  
just wanted to check there was a sane reason why it wasn't  
supported.  (and I'm not about to go on a campaign to get everyone to  
add a mips-aperios target to their builds ;)

FWIW, all of the tools will now build and install, but compiling our  
client code dies in the linker with the following:
/usr/local/OPEN_R_SDK_new/OPEN_R/lib/libObjectComm.a 
(ShmUnitAllocator.o): In function `ShmUnitAllocator::ShmUnitAllocator 
()':
ShmUnitAllocator.cc:(.text+0x30): undefined reference to  
`std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::allocate(unsigned int)'
ShmUnitAllocator.cc:(.text+0x58): undefined reference to  
`std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::allocate(unsigned int)'
[repeats with many more undefined references to allocate and  
deallocate, apparently all within libObjectComm.a]

If there's any ideas how to fix that, I'd appreciate it, but I doubt  
it's a newlib problem (smells like libstdc++ has been changed?)

thanks!
   -ethan



More information about the Newlib mailing list