hidden symbol `__divdi3' is referenced by DSO

Shaun Jackman sjackman@gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:52:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:10:45 -0500, Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@redhat.com> wrote:
> The rpath is also used to tell the linker where to find shared libraries during
> the link.  See the paragraph below.  I know I had to add it to my script that
> builds my shared executables.

I didn't know rpath had this secondary effect of being "used when
locating shared objects which are needed by shared objects explicitly
included in the link." Nonetheless, there are no shared objects
explicitly included in the link, only implicitly through -l, and the
build still fails.  <frown>

cc -nostdlib -L/home/sjackman/lib/newlib -Wl,-rpath
/home/sjackman/lib/newlib /home/sjackman/lib/newlib/crt0.o  hello.o
-lc -lm -lgcc -o hello
/usr/bin/ld: hello: hidden symbol `__divdi3' in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.4/libgcc.a(_divdi3.oS) is referenced
by DSO
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Cheers,
Shaun