Possible glibc 2.35 ARM regression in LD_BIND_NOT

Nathan Nye nnye@whitebeamsec.com
Tue Jul 5 14:34:43 GMT 2022


All,

I isolated the issue. When compiling binaries using gcc on Ubuntu 20.04 
or below, the resulting binary does not have PIE - regardless of the 
-pie argument being passed to the compiler. Ubuntu 22.04 correctly 
reflects the default build flags being PIE and the binaries have PIE 
unless the arguments passed to gcc include -no-pie.

Thanks,
Nathan Nye

On 7/4/22 3:31 PM, Nathan Nye wrote:
> +Adhemerval
>
> Hi Adhemerval,
>
> I think you may know the relevant source best if this issue exists. 
> Your feedback would be really valuable if you're able to test it.
>
> Very respectfully,
> Nathan Nye
>
> On 7/4/22 3:14 PM, Nathan Nye wrote:
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I'm reviewing what could be a regression in LD_BIND_NOT's 
>> functionality in glibc 2.35 on ARM architectures (there were a few 
>> recent ARM audit changes). Symbol binding only occurs a single time 
>> on glibc 2.35/ARM, even when LD_BIND_NOT is enabled. I've tested:
>>
>>   * Ubuntu 22.04 x86_64 glibc 2.35
>>   * Ubuntu 20.04 ARM glibc 2.34
>>   * Ubuntu 22.04 ARM glibc 2.35
>>
>> I could use a second pair of eyes on this issue to verify it exists. 
>> Here is the test case I cobbled together, please excuse the poor C 
>> code I wrote while testing: https://pastebin.com/raw/HSSYjemj
>>
>> I've also attached the test case to this email. Thanks!
>>
>> Very respectfully,
>> Nathan Nye
>

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: OpenPGP_0xCB7269934F16882E.asc
Type: application/pgp-keys
Size: 660 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP public key
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-help/attachments/20220705/9af02075/attachment.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: OpenPGP_signature
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 236 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-help/attachments/20220705/9af02075/attachment.sig>


More information about the Libc-help mailing list