Happy New Year 2024 & Freeze for the upcoming glibc 2.39 release

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge@gentoo.org
Mon Jan 1 13:18:01 GMT 2024

Hi all,

first of all, a happy new year to all of you. Let us hope for a more peaceful 2024.

We follow for the upcoming glibc 2.39 the same schedule as usual.

- January 1-11, "slushy ABI freeze"
  * No new ABI additions.
  * ABI corrections should be reviewed, RM approval not required.
  * Avoid any changes that require action by the ports (including all
    that require ulps regeneration)
  * Bug fixes.
  * Monday patch review switches to reviewing critical bug list and
    ABI issues.

The planning section of our 2.39 wiki page lists at the moment the following items:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.39#Planning

* Release blockers
  - Revert to original qsort implementation and apply subsequent mergesort changes with heapsort as fallback.
        Attempts to make changes to qsort have shown deep application dependencies on undocumented behaviour.
        In order to preserver application compatibility we need to revert the less conservative changes.
        It would be good to revert to the original known state and then copy in some of the final changes.
  - AArch64 SME support https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=28136
* Desirable this release?
  - Add clone3 support for multiple architectures (mips and arm missing)
  - Remove ia64-linux-gnu
  - Implement C23 <stdbit.h>

Please update what is in the meantime done / obsolete / ..., ideally with links to the commits or bugs.

What else should we add here that still needs to go into 2.39?

- January 12-31, "hard ABI freeze"
  * Noncritical bug fixes.
  * No ABI changes without RM discussion.
  * High risk bug fixes should be discussed on the list.

- February 1
  * glibc 2.39 release

If you have any comments or objections, please reply to the list.

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas K. Hüttel