[Y2038] Question about porting y2038-tests to glibc

Lukasz Majewski lukma@denx.de
Wed Nov 4 13:59:38 GMT 2020

Hi Carlos,

> On 11/4/20 6:37 AM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > It looks like the "user mode" will not help us much. It adjust
> > received from target syscalls and pass them to host.
> >
> > This means that clock_settime64 will adjust host time.
> >
> > It now looks to me that the most feasible solution would be to use
> > ./cross-test-ssh.sh script with QEMU emulated ARM system [1].
> >
> > I do use there sshfs to mount glibc build directory. In terms of
> > performance it could be replaced with NFS or I could use ssh to
> > execute test program (built with e.g. -static) and get result.
>
> This is disappointing.
>
> It is the least appealing option because of the amount of maintenance
> we need to do to keep this option working.

Another very problematic option would be to build and test the glibc
solely in ARM VM (e.g. 4x Cortex-A9) .

The problem is that performance is very poor. The feasible solution
which I've found is described here:
https://github.com/lmajewski/meta-y2038/blob/master/README#L79

> How do we plan to maintain this solution?
>
> * How is the kernel built?
>   - From kernel sources and defconfig?
> * How is the kernel updated?
>   - qemu is told to run a specific built kernel
> * How is the VM image maintained?
> * Where does the VM image come from?

It is all in one place -
https://github.com/lmajewski/meta-y2038/blob/master/README

I do maintain such Yocto/OE meta layer for ARM 32 bit SoC system.
However, it cannot be easily integrated into build-many-glibcs.py
script.

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@denx.de