Rename "master" branch to "main"?

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Tue Jun 30 22:56:21 GMT 2020

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:

> I see only 1 reference in the hooks to "master" and it's for computing a
> short name for email subjects that eschews the branch name
> (updates/branches/update.py).

That hardcoding is still present in the latest version of the hooks so
that should be reported as an issue at
https://github.com/AdaCore/git-hooks/issues (I think it's reasonably
different from my existing https://github.com/AdaCore/git-hooks/issues/8
for customization of commit messages and hooks - a better upstream default
would probably be for the hooks to determine automatically what the
default branch for new clones is, and treat that branch specially, rather
than needing a separate hooks configuration option to identify that
branch).  Note that glibc uses a symlink to a shared installation of the
hooks used by other sourceware projects (but not by GCC which has its own
copy with further local changes).

In hooks-bin, email-to-bugzilla-filtered checks for master (and for
release branches) to determine whether to report a commit to Bugzilla.
Likewise post-receive for irker (although that seems to have been broken
for some time anyway, I think because of freenode configuration changes).
So the above reference is not the only one.

refs/meta/config:project.config has

        allow-non-fast-forward = (?!master|release.*)

so that would also need updating.

I don't know if there might be other places.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com