Rename "master" branch to "main"?

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 21:44:01 GMT 2020

On 6/30/20 5:24 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
>
>> My proposal would be to rename the development and current release branch:
>>
>> * master -> main
>>
>> * release/2.32/master -> release/2.32/main
>
> Have you reviewed the git hooks and hook configuration to identify
> anything that special-cases master or branch names involving "master"?
> For example, configuration of which branches do or do not allow
> non-fast-forward pushes / merge commits / ...?

I have access to and can review all of that code. Florian and I set it all
up on sourceware.

I see only 1 reference in the hooks to "master" and it's for computing a
short name for email subjects that eschews the branch name (updates/branches/update.py).

The rest is driven entirely by direct references to what is being committed.

We will have to update the configuration of the hooks once the branch is
renamed.

> Do you have all the wiki updates that would be required prepared?  In
> particular, detailed instructions for updating existing clones that have
> branches tracking master?

No, we would need to update GlibcGit with new information.

Also providing instructions to update existing clones would be needed and
we need to work that out, but since many people are working this out it
should be a straight forward process.