[RFC 00/10] y2038: nptl: futex: Provide support for futex_time64

Lukasz Majewski lukma@denx.de
Fri Jul 17 16:41:46 GMT 2020

Hi Adhemerval,

> On 17/07/2020 05:11, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> >> Regarding stat - it is indeed a mess - many versions of the same
> >> functions for generic, LFS, and architectures (like ARM).
> >> Conversion to 64 bit time support is challenging there as well.
> >>
> >> But as fair as I can tell - more than "code base" cleanup - the
> >> raise of glibc minimal kernel supported version would help much
> >> more in this situation as code for many "use cases" would be just
> >> removed.
> >>
> >> A side remark - now the oldest LTS kernel supported is 4.4 and
> >> oldest supported kernel for glibc is 3.2.
> >> Maybe it is a good time to bump the minimal supported kernel for
> >> glibc?
> >>
> >> If you don't have time to do the conversion in next two weeks then
> >> - I can in the meantime do a conversion for the above code snippet
> >> - futex_reltimed_wait_time64() (and up to
> >> pthread_mutex_{timed,clock}). This work shall be orthogonal to
> >> lowlevellock-futex.h cleanup.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > I don't think it makes any difference for stat: linux-3.2 and
> > linux-5.0 appear to have the exact same kernel interface for
> > newstat/stat64 and newfstatat/fstatat64 on all architectures,
> > though there are two special cases that need to be handled:
> >
> > - mips-n32 and ix86-x32 are lacking the stat64 version, so they only
> >   have the non-LFS newstat/newfstatat version but not
> > stat64/fstatat64. The x32 version is wide enough to support 64-bit
> > offsets but uses the non-LFS name for it.
> >
> > - alpha, parisc and sparc are 64-bit architecture with
> > stat64/fstatat64, but they lack newstat/newfstatat.
> >
> > While statx() was added in in linux-4.11, it was not enabled in ia64
> > until linux-5.1 when we sanitized the syscall tables across
> > architectures, so you can't rely on that until v5.1 is the minimum
> > kernel for glibc, and that will still be a long time.
> >
> > There may be other reasons to increase the minimum runtimer kernel
> > level or the minimum kernel header version for glibc in the
> > meantime.
>
> Indeed raising the kernel does not help us much here, as you pointed
> out we need to handle some outliers. My current work to simplify the
> code base and keep me sane while adding y2038 support is to:
>
>   1. Consolidate the {f}xstat{at}{64} routines.  With some ifdef
> checks to use the right syscall the only architectures that require
> special implementations are alpha and mips64 (which support either
> specific glibc _STAT_VER version or special function conversions.
>
>   2. Remove internal usage of the {f}xstat{at}{64} routines and
> replace with {f}stat{at}64.
>
>   3. Move the {f}xstat{at}{64} to compat symbols and add {f}stat{at}64
>      symbol for 2.33.  My plan is also do decouple the struct stat
>      definition from the kernel and define a glibc generic one for
>      *all* architectures (we can do it because there are new symbols).
>
>   4. Implement fstat, lstat, and fstat on fstatat basis.  This will
> [...]

It would be great to have the "syscall decision logic" in one place.

Some of my "hackish" attempts to convert *stat* [1][2][3] to support
64 bit time were using statx as it is already available and supported
in glibc.

The only issue was to convert/emulate data for stat output.

Links:

[1] -
https://github.com/lmajewski/y2038_glibc/commit/57841b674d3fc007e31e7551a66963834cf096ac
[2] -