[RFC 00/10] y2038: nptl: futex: Provide support for futex_time64

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Fri Jul 17 17:18:26 GMT 2020

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, Adhemerval Zanella via Libc-alpha wrote:

>   3. Move the {f}xstat{at}{64} to compat symbols and add {f}stat{at}64
>      symbol for 2.33.  My plan is also do decouple the struct stat
>      definition from the kernel and define a glibc generic one for
>      *all* architectures (we can do it because there are new symbols).

That's the sort of change that, although it wouldn't break the ABI as seen
by an existing set of binaries, would be problematic when any existing
shared library has struct stat or struct stat64 in its ABI and people try
to link to it with a new binary without recompiling the shared library, or
recompile the shared library with new libc without recompiling all
binaries linked against it.  I don't think such a change to struct stat or
struct stat64 would be a good idea - but a generic definition certainly
makes sense for the case of 64-bit time on architectures that don't
currently have 64-bit time.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com